Lazy eye is a state of health that focuses the brain on one eye without the other, thus ignoring the second.
If the eye is not stimulated properly, the nerves responsible for looking at the eye do not develop as needed.
This condition appears in childhood, and may later develop into partial or total blindness.
It is noteworthy that the term lazy eye, do not completely describe the health status, which is the presence of developmental problems in the optic nerve that connects the eye with the brain, not a problem affecting the eye itself.
Lazy eye treatment
Treatment is more effective in the event of the discovery of the problem early, in the case of eight-year-old child bypass without access to treatment, the percentage of success less dramatically.
Infected children do not feel this problem is that in general, where the proper compensation for the role of the weak eye, which causes the decline in the situation to become apparent and noticeable.
The lazy eye is usually treated in two ways:
1 – to treat the problem that caused the infection of the lazy eye
This is done through:
- Use of glasses: The doctor will prescribe glasses for the child, which he should use all the time in order to determine their effectiveness.
- Cataract Surgery: If cataract is the underlying cause of your eye loss, it may be eliminated by surgery that is associated with local or total anesthesia.
- Correction of falling eyelids: Sometimes the cause is the eyelids that block the eyes of the weak eye, and undergo surgery to lift these eyelids.
2 – stimulate the eye to work better
After identifying the cause and treatment of the lazy eye, comes the stage of stimulating the weak eye to look.
Here are several ways to do this, which include:
- Use patch: placed on the healthy eye in order to stimulate the infected to work.
- Atropine eye drops: For the treatment of blurred vision, it expands the pupil in the affected eye for better vision.
- Looking exercises: These are different exercises that contribute to the development of eye vision, and are better for older children, and are associated with other treatments.
- Surgery: Aimed at improving the view of the affected eye, and may not help improve the consideration.
Causes of lazy eye infection
Although the main cause of the infection is not clear, the brain works to suppress the images that come from the infected eye, and may be due to:
- Strabismus: It is difficult to process the same things from both eyes.
- Anisotropin: The light is not focused properly in the lens of the affected eye, causing blurry vision.
- It may be for other reasons: such as an eye injury or heredity.
Symptoms of lazy eye infection
Usually the eye is not detected lazy if the child undergoes a routine eye examination, because the healthy eye works to compensate for those infected.
However, this health condition may be associated with some different symptoms, including:
- Misty or double vision
- The eyes do not work together so note it by others
- The affected eye may move alone at times.
It is important that children are subject to early routine screening to detect the incidence of the lazy eye, and remember that the sooner the diagnosis is diagnosed, the greater the success of the treatment!